Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Europe and America

You must understand, Riff Raff.

Everyone kept telling me to "do it while your young", so I bought a round trip ticket to London. Three months with no plan, no watch, and no cell phone. I left right after I'd founded Postcards to the President, and only a few months after Proposition 8 had passed.

After a few weeks visiting an old Rank and File Riff Raff in Oxford, I went to Italy. I took the time to journal almost daily and slept where I could: on couches, on trains, in airports, in hostels, and in a few very fancy hotels. I met people and wrote and saw and ate and gained [weight and] an unbelievable perspective that now, almost 2 years later I wonder if I still remember.

What is it that I prefer about Europe? Their history is much longer than ours and therefore the organization of society is more evolved. It seems to have created a pace of life that allows it's citizens to enjoy themselves through The Turbulence. It is not free from grief or poverty or catastrophe. It is not Utopia. Perhaps, for me, it simply is a change. And change excites me.

Side Note: I have never been to Prague. I wish I had been there when this happened -



Right, is that amazing? I'm sorry, but you won't find anything like this in even our most creative cities.

There is something that I learned when I traveled that I will never forget. I know what it feels like to be free of an agenda, appreciative for my life, inspired by others, and simply happy. It is all a state of mind and it's all in my mind - I just need to unlock it again. How do I unlock it again?

3 comments:

  1. tanner you and i both know you can't get that kind of mindset back by being chained to your desk 8 hours a day doing mindless social media. :) time to plan that winter vacation boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanner, come back to Italy as soon as you loose weight!
    We miss you.

    ReplyDelete